Second EditionSatish Gupte MD Professor and Head Microbiology Gian Sagar Medical College, Banur Ex. Professor and Head Microbiology Government Medical College, Jammu and Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Bathinda, Punjab (India)
Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
4838/24 Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi - 110002, India, +91-11-43574357
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672, Rel: +91-11-32558559 Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683 e-mail: email@example.com, Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015 Phones: +91-79-26926233, Rel: +91-79-32988717Fax: +91-79-26927094 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ❑ 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001 Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956,+91-80-22372664, Rel: +91-80-32714073Fax: +91-80-22281761 e-mail: email@example.com
- ❑ 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008 Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897,Rel: +91-44-32972089 Fax: +91-44-28193231 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ❑ 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095 Phones: +91-40-66610020,+91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929Fax:+91-40-24758499 e-mail: email@example.com
- ❑ No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala Phones: +91-484-4036109, +91-484-2395739,+91-484-2395740 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ❑ 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013 Phones: +91-33-22651926, +91-33-22276404,+91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926Fax: +91-33-22656075 e-mail: email@example.com
- ❑ Lekhraj Market III, B-2, Sector-4, Faizabad Road, Indira NagarLucknow 226 016 Phones: +91-522-3040553, +91-522-3040554e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ❑ 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400012 Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532,Rel: +91-22-32926896 Fax: +91-22-24160828 e-mail: email@example.com
- ❑ “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS) Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220,Fax: +91-712-2704275 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1745, Pheasant Run Drive, Maryland Heights (Missouri), MO 63043, USA, Ph: 001-636-6279734 e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Illustrated Medical Microbiology
© 2009, Jyotsna Gupte
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition: 1996
Second Edition: 2009
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
The first edition of Illustrated Medical Microbiology was published in 1996, probably first of its kind in this continent. In 2002, Chinese edition was brought out by Ho Chi Book Publishing Co. Taiwan to give benefit of the edition to the concerned region and around.
Lamentably voluminous books on the speciality of medical microbiology with ever increasing new information make it difficult for the readers to memorize even the captions. To overcome this difficulty, out of many techniques applied, use of simple, easy to understand, self explanatory illustrations with least text seems to be the best and most acceptable solution. It does carry scientific support too, as long as lasting visual impression code can be utilized for expressing the subject by decoding the visual code.
This object in the treatise Illustrated Medical Microbiology has been achieved in 2nd edition by using clear, simple, easy to understand, well labeled and meaningful illustrations. In the 2nd edition about 20-25 new illustrations have been added, touching new topics of immense interest. Many new topics have been covered which include SARS, avian influenza (H5 N1) etc. All efforts are geared towards making the material more relevant to the requirements of the readers.
In the accomplishment of this volume, sincere efforts, hard work, best wishes of my wife Mrs Jyotsna Gupte, my son Anubhav Gupte and all family members are included.
Also I express appreciation of the generosity of many of my colleagues and readers too, who gave their valuable suggestions to make this volume more useful.
I am grateful to Shri Jitendar P Vij and his dedicated staff for their sustained efforts and excellent work in bringing out 2nd edition of this volume in the present wonderful and impressive form.
I am looking forward to have impression, comments, and suggestions from the readers to improve future edition(s) of this volume.