Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672
Rel: +91-11-32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015, Phones: +91-79-26926233, Rel: +91-79-32988717Fax: +91-79-26927094, e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001, Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, +91-80-22372664Rel: +91-80-32714073 Fax: +91-80-22281761, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008, Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089Fax: +91-44-28193231, e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498,Rel:+91-40-32940929 Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: +91-484-4036109, +91-484-2395739,+91-484-2395740 e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22651926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415Rel: +91-33-32901926, Fax: +91-33-22656075, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lekhraj Market III, B-2, Sector-4, Faizabad Road, Indira NagarLucknow 226 016, Phones: +91-522-3040553, +91-522-3040554e-mail: email@example.com
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400 012, Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS), Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220, Fax: +91-712-2704275e-mail: email@example.com
Step by Step Count Vour Calories
© 2008, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the authors and the publisher.
First Edition: 2008
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Ajanta OffsetDedicated to
Jitendar P Vij
and Raman Vij
An ideal couple who encouraged
hundreds of medical authors of distinctionPreface
Step by Step Count Your Calories has been specially designed to provide an understanding of fundamentals of nutrition as it relates to the promotion and maintenance of health chapter on ‘Calories’ covering practically its all aspects, its definition, caloric values of different foods and its expenditure. Caloric values are bound to vary because traditionally many methods of cooking are in vogue. These methods differ from house to house and same dish may be prepared by using different ingredient and quantity of fats/oils.
Food habit develops not only on ethnic, social and economic backgrounds but also on availability of food. Obesity is the bank balance of calories which makes a person ugly and exposes to heart attack, diabetes and arthritis. It reduces life span as well as the quality of life. The book suggests how to adopt alternative food articles to minimise calorie consumption.
Certain tables make you wiser to select food. The obesity paradox has created a huge business for the food industry which has made billions selling ‘low fat’ and ‘low carbohydrate’ products to would-be slimmers. People forget that satiety is the state of feeling full and gratified to the point of satisfaction which you can get from fibre and protein while using artificial sweetners to keep the calories down.
We are grateful to Mrs Monika and Mr Amit of Infosys for the technical support extended to us during preparation of the book.
We are grateful to revered Mr Raj Kumar Sharma and Mrs Mani Raj who have brought up whole of the family providing balanced diet and moral support and are our source of inspiration in every walk of life.