Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672, Rel: 32558559
Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015Phones: +91-079-26926233, Rel: +91-079-32988717, Fax: +91-079-26927094e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089, Fax: +91-44-28193231e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929,Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, KeralaPhones: 0484-4036109, +91-0484-2395739, +91-0484-2395740, e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22451926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926Fax: +91-33-22456075, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao RoadNear MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400 012Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: email@example.com
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS)Phones: Rel: 3245220, Fax: 0712-2704275, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diagnostic Microbiology (For DMLT Students)
© 2007, Ms Shaon De
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition : 2007
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Printed at Gopsons Papers Ltd., Noida.
This book is
dedicated with honour to my wife
Srimati Tripti DePreface
This book has been written primarily with the object of publishing a comprehensive practical and condensed textbook on bacteriology and serology for the diploma and degree in medical laboratory technology and also for medical undergraduate students.
As such the book will also serve a useful ready reference for health care workers who are involved with daily laboratory practices. Diagnostic methods which are best and suitable for application have been mentioned leaving aside those which are unimportant or difficult for the students to pick up.
I would like to thank all those who will express their views to make future edition more useful.
Ranjan Kumar DeAcknowledgements
I could conclude the works of this book by grace and blessings of Thakur Shri Shri Ramakrishna.
I remain indebted to the Director of Medical Education and Ex-officio Secretary, Department of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of West Bengal for giving official permission to publish this book.
I acknowledge with gratitude the continuous help of renowned pathologist Dr. Subir Kumar Dutta, Former Dean, Medical faculty, Calcutta University, for maturation of my professional expertise.
I am grateful to Dr. Pratip Kumar Kundu, Asso. Prof. and Head, Microbiology Department, N.R.S. Medical College, Kolkata, who helped me in amendment and modification of the manuscript.
I am grateful to Dr. Aniruddhya Mukherjee, Technical Officer (Medical), Strategic Planning and sector reform cell, Swastha Bhawan, Salt Lake City, Kolkata, for his support and help especially official matters of this project.
I am also grateful to Dr. P. Banerjee, Prof. and H.O.D; Dr. (Mrs) R. Guha Thakurta, Prof; Dr. (Mrs) S. Bhattacharjee, Assoc. Prof.; Dr. (Mrs) C. Chattopadhya, Asst. Prof; Dr. S. Chatterjee, Demonstrator; Dr. C. Mandi, Demonstrator; all my colleagues and staff members, Department of Microbiology, R.G. KAR Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata, for their support, suggestions and tips.
In preparation this book I have consulted many books and publications for reference materials. I acknowledge with gratitude to the related authors and publishers especially World Health Organization and National AIDS Control Organization, New Delhi.
I would like to express my special gratitude to my publisher M/s Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd., New Delhi, because they have considerately agreed to publish this book. I also thank all staff members of the company.
I would like to thank Mr. R. Halder and all staff members of “MEGA PRINTERS” 28/5, Convent Road, Kolkata-700014 for their prudent computerised type setting, reliability and commitment to this project.
I would like to thank Mr. Partha Ganguly for photosetting.
I am grateful to the Directors and Officials of “Scientific Clinical Research Laboratory Pvt. Ltd.,” 2. Ramchandra Das Row, Kolkata-700013 for their help and giving permission to take photographs from their valuable diagnostic documents. I also like to thank all staff members of the company.
Finally, I am really thankful to my family members for their support, encouragement and forbearance while I struggled to meet my destination.