andSREEKUMARI S MBBS, MD Professor, Department of Biochemistry Jubilee Mission Medical College Trissur, Kerala
Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672, Rel: 32558559
Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- ❑ 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015Phones: +91-079-26926233, Rel: +91-079-32988717, Fax: +91-079-26927094e-mail: email@example.com
- ❑ 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa RoadKumara Park East, Bangalore 560 001Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ❑ 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain PlazaPantheon Road, Chennai 600 008Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089, Fax: +91-44-28193231e-mail: email@example.com
- ❑ 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929, Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ❑ No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: 0484-4036109, +91-0484-2395739, +91-0484-2395740
- ❑ 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22451926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926Fax: +91-33-22456075, e-mail: email@example.com
- ❑ 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao RoadNear MGM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ❑ “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, ReshimbagOpp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS)Phones: Rel: 3245220, Fax: 0712-2704275e-mail: email@example.com
Textbook of Biochemistry for Dental Students
© 2007, DM Vasudevan, Sreekumari S
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the authors and the publisher.
First Edition: 2007
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Ajanta Offset and Packaginges Ltd.
With humility and reverence, this book is dedicated at the lotus feet of the Holy Mother,
Sri Mata Amritanandamayi Devi
"Today's world needs people who express goodness in their words and deeds. If such noble role models set the example for their fellow beings, the darkness prevailing in today's society will be dispelled, and the light of peace and non-violence will once again illumine this earth. Let us work togethr towards this goal"—Mata Amritanandamayi Devi
The medical community of India has warmly received the "Textbook of Biochemistry for Medical Students", edited by us. It was originally published in 1995, and now running the 4th edition. We were getting persistent requests from teachers of dental courses that a concise version of the Textbook is necessary for catering their needs. In order to satisfy this continued demand, we are now presenting this Textbook of Biochemistry for Dental Students.
This book is prepared after consulting the sylabi of Dental courses of various universities. As there are slight variations on the emphasis given by different universities, we have tried to incorporate all the facts prescribed in all those curricula. So, some students may find some chapters unnecessary for their immediate purpose. But a general textbook of this nature has to satisfy the needs of all students.
The important points are made into bold letters, so that students can grasp the subject easily. Moreover, the facts are given in point-wise (with numbers), so as to aid easy memorisation. There are two sets of undergraduate students; majority wants only a pass. For them, the essentials of Biochemistry are given in ordinary font. A small group of students aspire for distinction; for them a bit more advanced knowledge is given in small prints. Students just before the examination can skip the tiny letters, but these areas will also become important later in their pursuit of knowledge. Those who are interested to get more facts may consult our Textbook of Biochemistry for Medical Students.
A question bank, given in the end of the book contains essay questions, short notes and viva voce type questions. These questions are compiled from the question papers of various universities during the last decade. These questions will be ideal for students for last-minute preparation for examinations.
The first author desires more interaction with faculty and students who are using this textbook. All are welcome to communicate at his e-mail address <firstname.lastname@example.org>
We extend our thanks for the enormous help rendered by Dr. Ananth N. Rao and Dr. R. Krishnaprasad in preparation of this book. We also thank Shri Jitendar P Vij, Chairman and Managing Director, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Pvt Ltd., New Delhi and his associates for their active support in making this publication possible.
A textbook will be matured only by successive revisions. We hope that this first edition will be friendly to the students and be attractive to the teachers. Now this is in your hands to judge.
“End of all knowledge must be building up of character”—Gandhiji.