Many thanks to JAYPEEDIGITAL platform, which has been an indispensable easy-to-use source for our...Ozlem YALCINKAYA
Jaypeedigital site offers to our students a huge number of medical publications such as textbooks...Dr Jesus Tapia Jurado
With user-friendly interface, Jaypeedigital provides extensive coverage in medicine, dentistry and...Wan Suhaimi Ariffin, MLS (Syracuse), BLS (UITM)`
Jaypeedigital platform presents an interesting and valuable collection of medical publications that...David E. García Díaz (MD)
Some of us teach in the Division of Graduate Studies and Research at the Faculty and the contents of...Arcelia Meléndez Ocamp (MD)
Subscribe to be the first to know about Best Deals and Exclusive Offers!
JOURNAL TITLE: Journal of South Asian Association of Pediatric Dentistry
Aim: The objective of the study was to determine the prevalence of mesiodens along with other epidemiological characteristics. Materials and methods: A retrospective evaluation of data of patients was done to calculate the prevalence of mesiodens in 60,590 children (33,038 boys and 27,552 girls) in age range from 4 to 12 years. In addition to the prevalence, age, gender, number, morphology, orientation, and complications associated with it was also recorded. Results: The prevalence of mesiodens was estimated to be 1.12% (680 cases) with male–female ratio of 3.22:1. The dentition-wise prevalence was 5.88% in primary dentition stage, 83.53% in mixed dentition stage, and 10.59% were in permanent dentition stage. Out of the 680 patients, 149 (21.91%) had two mesiodens, whereas 531 (78.09%) cases had 1 mesiodens. Conical shape was the most common type (92.76%), followed by supplemental (4.7%), odontome (1.33%), and tuberculate (1.21%). In all, 67.67% mesiodens were in a vertical position, 28.35% were in an inverted position, and 3.98% were in a transverse position, and 689 mesiodens (83.11%) were erupted and the remaining 140 (16.89%) of the cases were unerupted. In all, 46.56% of the mesiodens were palatally positioned, and root formation was complete in 65.86% cases, and 34.14% had incomplete root formation. Complications caused by mesiodens were malalignment of maxillary centrals (53.09%), noneruption of incisors (17.94%), and diastema (28.97%). Conclusion: Mesiodens is the most common form of supernumerary teeth in permanent dentition. Early detection and management of all supernumerary teeth is a necessary part of preventive dentistry.
© 2019 Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD. | All Rights Reserved